11/13/2005

The Lowly Squash

Once again, Phil insists that I tell you about cooking squash. Until fairly recently he was not a squash lover and would eat it because it's good for him. However, one day I had prepared some butternut squash for myself, and was sitting at the kitchen table enjoying my lunch when he passed through and said that what ever I was eating smelled DELICIOUS! I told him that it was butternut squash, and that he could have some if he wanted it. So, that was my mistake. Now I have to share with him every time I cook squash. He is a convert.
The method I use is not rocket science, in fact it is very straightforward. I wash the squash {butternut is my favorite} and cut off the stem. Then I cut it so that I have separated the top or neck of the squash from the bottom, which contains the seeds and is quite a bit thinner than the top. I then cut the top of the squash in half, top down, so that I have two pieces that are mirror images of each other. I coat a glass dish with a little oil, and place the squash cut side down in the dish. I cover it with some microwave safe wrap, and cook it on high for ten minutes and test to see if it is tender. If it requires a bit more time I continue to cook it until it is soft. Now, here is where I stray from the norm. I place the cooked squash on a dinnerplate, and cut through the flesh so that it is somewhat mashed, and drizzle it with a little extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle it with garlic powder, salt and pepper----and serve. {or eat!} It is absolutely delicious. Phil now requests squash several times a week, and that makes me a happy cook. So, be brave---try this method and see what you think. I suppose you could always go the butter, salt and pepper route, or the butter, brown sugar twist. But perhaps because I love garlic as well as squash, my favorite squash recipe is the unorthodox pairing of flavors that I have described for you. Mangia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home