3/28/2005

Rainy monday and leftover shrimp!

As usual I prepared more shrimp than two of us could eat on Easter sunday so I will need to throw something together that calls for shrimp. I also have some cabbage, baby spinach, and chicken broth as well as wonton noodles {uncooked}. I think that a quick stir fry of slivered cabbage, grated carrots, sliced onion and minced garlic would be nice, with the shrimp added at the end. A stir fry is simply a mixture of foods cooked in a little oil starting with the food that requires the longest cooking time adding the rest of the ingredients in order of time required, until everything is in the pan. Season the stirfry as you wish. I usually add a little bit of soy sauce and Five Spice powder which is available in the Asian foods section of your super market. Grated ginger is another good addition.

A nice way to start the meal would be with a bowl of chicken broth, jazzed up by adding fresh parsley and a shake of garlic powder. Wonton noodles are a reasonable addition, so I will cut them in quarters and add them to the simmering broth. When they are almost tender, I will add some baby spinach that I have sliced very thinly. To do this, remove the stems, stack the leaves up and form them into a tight little roll. Using a sharp knife slice the rolled spinach into slivers. These thin shreds of spinach will cook almost instantly, so at this point taste the broth and adjust the seasoning. Sometimes I add a small shake of turmeric and curry powder to chicken soups because these herbs and seasonings seem to enhance the flavor and add a lovely golden color to the broth.

A fresh fruit plate is a perfect dessert and I have some strawberries, blueberries, and oranges that will do just fine. Simply clean the berries, slice the oranges into segments and arrange the fruit on a platter. Dessert is ready. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been fortunate enough to eat in Auntie Lorraine's kitchen on 'way more than one occasion (though not this particular shrimp dish), I'll say that the woman definitely knows her stuff!!! I've learned more from her than from, well, anyone when it comes to the art of cooking. (And the art of friendship.)

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home