3/20/2005

Snow?? Soup !!

When the weatherman said the "F" word {flurries!} this morning I realized that soup weather was far from over and took a quick look at my supplies for a hint regarding the Soup Of The Day.

In the freezer I found a package of turkey drumsticks and a small container of home made tomato sauce. In the refrigerator I found celery, carrots, and parsley. With the addition of garlic and onions as well as dried bay leaf and dried thyme I knew that soup was on the way. Of course the frozen turkey drumsticks needed to be thawed {microwave!}, and the vegetables needed to be cleaned and chopped. So, I put a pot of water on to boil and proceeded to cut the onion into chunks, mince the garlic, chop the celery and carrots, all of which went into the pot of boiling water along with the thawed turkey. I set my timer for thirty minutes, turned the heat down to maintain a simmer and finished the word puzzle I had started this morning.

When the timer buzzed I added the chopped parsley and a few bay leaves, as well as about one half cup of the tomato sauce, and a pinch of dried thyme. A quick stir, and I set the timer for another thirty minutes. At this point all that needs to be done is to wait for the turkey to be so tender that it is falling off the bone. Remove it from the pot, let the meat cool enough to handle and break the turkey meat up into chunks, discarding skin and any tough sinew as you go along. Add the meat to the soup, stir it and taste it to see if you need to add salt and pepper. When I make soup I prefer to wait until near the end before I add salt, so that I do not over do it.

Aha! while poking around in the refrigerator I saw the small bowl of spinach/cheese tortellini that remained from last night's supper! When I dish the soup up, I will add a few of them to each bowl. What a nice surprise! Now---what to have with the soup? Since I am fresh out of interesting bread, I will put out a variety of cheeses, an assortment of crackers, as well as a bowl of hummus. And that is another story. Soup's on!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also live in upstate NY, United States, so when I smelled auntie lorraine's snow?? soup!! cooking, I quickly ran across the street to have some. It was superb, of course. I've never had anything from auntie lorraine's kitchen that wasn't outstanding. That's why we negotiated our deal in the first place: I snowblow her driveway, and she bakes me a pie. It's got me doing a sonw dance every 2-3 days. But I digress . . . .

What I really wanted to comment about was the wine that was served with this snow??soup!!, It was called "Starboard Port" from Dedham Vineyards. The label proclaimed that it was made in great haste and at not very great cost. It shows. This wine is truly unique. Thankfully. Starboard Port carries the obligatory warning label, but with a twist -- warning that 1) pregnant women should not drink to excess, as it amy cause vomiting; and 2) women should not drink and operate heavy machinery. It seems that the vintner is unfairly targeting only one segment of the wine-loving marketplace. Anyway, I can only say that this is a wine that I don't expect to see on my own table anytime soon.

Now, pass the snow??soup!! please. Yes ... again!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home