11/06/2005

Sunday morning breakfast

What a beautiful day!

The weather here {upstate New york} is absolutely unbelievable for November. Still warm and a bit of a breeze, with yellow and orange leaves showering down , against a bright blue sky! Enough about the weather. Last night Phil asked if we could have French Toast for breakfast, and of course I agreed. So, this morning I set about making a nice meal for the two of us.

Actually, French toast is a very easy dish to prepare for a crowd, as well. When I am making it for four or more, I break out the electric griddle. This not only allows me to cook a mountain of slices at once, the temperature is constant, so the slices are all cooking at the same rate. But I digress. Most French toast recipes are pretty straightforward, so you can go with what ever method you prefer. Over the years I have developed a few twists on the usual format and I must say that everyone who eats my French toast comments on the flavor.

I add a little vanilla, a shake of cinnamon, and if the bread I am using is of the non sweet variety--I add a little sugar. {to five eggs I add 2 tsp. sugar} Then I add milk to this mixture until it is the consistency that I want and start cooking. I use a bit of butter on the griddle, as well as no stick cooking spray.

This morning, I decided to use some of the lovely little seckel pears that I bought yesterday, so I cut them in half, scooped the seeds out {using the tiniest spoon of my measuring spoon set}, and popped them into a skillet with some melted butter. Turning the heat down to low allows the pears to cook slowly, becoming golden and tender and ready to eat when the last of the French toast is coming off the griddle. Put a cover on the pan and remove it when the fruit has begun to get tender.

What a nice breakfast - with hot coffee, maple syrup {from a friends farm}, and the company of the man I love. Let's hear about your favorite "lazy morning" breakfasts.

Talk to you soon - Auntie Lorraine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home